Click to Home

Go To Search
shareEmailPrint

Home

Posted on: July 13, 2018

Plimptons Donate Planters to City Hall

City Hall Planter Donation
Ogdensburg resident Bill Plimpton has donated two concrete planters made from forms that are over 150 years old. A presentation was made prior to the Ogdensburg City Council meeting on July 9. The planters now hold flowers that were provided by the Ogdensburg Pride & Beautification Commission and are proudly displayed on the steps of City Hall at 330 Ford St. The planters were donated in recognition of the city’s 150th anniversary of incorporation which took place on April 27, 1868.

“The City of Ogdensburg and the 150th Anniversary Committee would like to thank Mr. Plimpton and his family for this generous donation. The planters will greet visitors to City Hall for years to come and help remind everyone of this special anniversary for the city,” said Parks & Recreation Director Matthew Curatolo, 150th Anniversary Committee Chair. 

Mr. Plimpton, a retired principal at Ogdensburg Free Academy and former city councilor elected in 1980, has given many concrete planters as gifts to friends and relatives for cemetery memorials.  He has also donated planters to the Ogdensburg Presbyterian Church, the Frederic Remington Art Museum, the Ogdensburg Public Library and Sherman Inn. 

Mr. Plimpton’s work continues a family tradition. Mr. Plimpton’s grandfather, William H. Plimpton Sr., was a stone mason contractor and quarry boss on Oak Island during the construction of Boldt Castle. He also served as Mayor of Alex Bay and Town Supervisor of Alexandria. His father, William H. Plimpton Jr. was a boat builder at Hutchinson Boat Works. 

Mr. Plimpton’s son, Tom, as well as his grandson are both learning how to create these concrete planters to continue the family tradition.

Facebook Twitter Google Plus Email

Home Contact Us Sitemap RSS FAQs Accessibility Translate Windpowered Privacy Statement Copyright Notice Powered by CivicPlus